Thursday, September 8, 2011

And the Winner Is......

First, I'd like to give a huge thank you to the people who took the time and effort to post a comment and make a stab at exactly who "Jones" is in the post, "Just Who Is This Jones Guy?" August 31. The little stories you came up with were excellent - one had me laughing.

Now as to who, exactly, Jones Creek was named after....

My Jupiter native friend, Brad Mayo, went chasing after several life-long natives he knew and actually found someone who knew Jones. He was Preacher Jones and was a preacher at Southern Methodist Church on Park Place. Brad is going to find out (as Paul Harvey says) the rest of the story, but there you go.... Preacher Jones.

And now, I guess you're anxious to find out who won the grand prize... I put all the names in a box and had the lovely Katherine draw the winner.  Congratulations are in order to (drumroll.....)

FRED HOLMSTOCK

Fred, thank you so much for being a follower and participant in this contest. I know you'll love the book! Please e-mail me and let me know where you'd like me to ship your prize.

To all, this was a lot of fun and I'll do something along the same lines again as soon as I can find another mysterious factoid about Palm Beach County.

EDIT:  The mystery continues... I had the pleasure of speaking with Richard Procyk, a local Jupiter historian and author of  a book about the Battle of the Loxahatchee. I asked him if he thought "Jones" might be Preacher Jones. His opinion was that Jones Creek got the name way before Preacher Jones showed up. He thought that since a Fort Jupiter was located there, it may have been named after a soldier. Or a squatter. He suggested a couple of leads I could follow, so the quest is continuing to see if I can find definitive information on it. I'll be sure to pass whatever I find on to you.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! I'm so honored, I'm speechless... (insert irony here) needless to say (er, type), I'm sןɐǝɥ ɹǝʌo pɐǝɥ excited and thrilled to have been selected amoungst such talented and somewhat sober competition...

    First, I'd like to thank the academy (Ruth) for this esteemed honor and recognition; the other nominees whose witty prose and historical BS made me laugh, made me cry and made my wonder 'what in hell does that mean?' and, of course, Vice Presient Al Gore for inventing the internet.

    As a child grewing up in the deep south, my dream and aspiration was to someday do someting excitingly meaningful with my life, perhaps become a Patagonian MacroEconomic Analyst, a Trazerian Parabolic research scientist, or if I was extremely lucky, a short order cook. My ultimate goal, of course, was to expand man's understanding of the universe or, perhaps expose an even greater mystery, woman's understanding of man, or at the very least, seek out new life and new civilizations... to boldly go where no man has gone before. But alas, never, Never, NEVER in my wildest dreams did I ever thing I was destined for a Ruthy...

    Thank you. This is a real honor.

    Thank you. Thank you very much. Good night everybody! Drive safely...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth! I've mentioned you on my blog and passed on the Versatile Blogger Award. You can find the info here: http://bit.ly/olQktt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred, you are an absolute hoot! and the perfect recipient of the very first contest award on my blog!

    And Ms. Saba, thank you so much! That is wonderful and I will certainly participate and pass the Versatile Blogger Award along! Best wishes to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete